Feeding Honey Bees 101
Many new beekeepers are surprised to learn that even established colonies need to be fed certain times of the year. Feeding honey bees? Wait a sec! I thought that’s the reason we got honey bees … so they can feed us. Don’t worry; they will in good time! Take care of your colonies and you’ll earn the sweet reward of home-produced honey. There’s nothing quite like it!
The truth is, even the honey bee’s incredible talents are stretched too far when resources aren’t available. Here’s a helpful one-page CHEAT SHEET on feeding your bees. Print it out and keep it in your honey house as a reminder!
- Learn about the two most critical times of year to feed
- Explore what to feed and how to feed it
- Dive into the differences between nectar and pollen and why bees need both
- Ensure you are feeding the right ratios of sugar to water for the season
- Plus, learn what NOT to do