Backyard Beekeeping Fall 2022
TABLE OF CONTENTS
• From the Editor
• What’s the Buzz
• Photo Essay: Rock Bridge Farmstead
Ask the Expert
~ Can I Do a Late-Summer Split?
~ How Many Days After Requeening Should I See Eggs?
~ How Long Can a Colony Survive Without a Queen
~ What are Ankle-Biter Bees?
~ Why Did My Bees Remove the Frame Foundation?
~ On A Frame of Emerged and Capped Queen Cells, Will the Workers Destroy the Capped Cells?
~ Should You Feed Native Bees?
• The Secret of Winter Bees vs. Summer Bees
• Making Splits: Nucleus Colonies
• First Year Extraction Equipment
• Varroa Destructor Treatments Explained
• Culling Honey Bee Colonies
• Hive Highlights: How to Make Honey Soap
• How to Harvest Bee Pollen
• Feral Honey Bees
• How Sweet It Is: Honey Cocktails and Mocktails
• A Sweet Treat: Beeswax
• Honey Peanut Butter Cookies
• Mead: The Ancient Elixir
• Is it Really Honey?
• Hive Highlights: DIY Bee Hotel
• Hive Minds: When Art and Science Mesh
In Every Issue
• Beekeeping Calendar
• Just For Fun
• Hives to Follow